The sports nutrition industry is thriving, and Lisa Schofield speaks with Industry leaders to learn how their stepping up their supplement game.
People are realizing the importance of health and fitness. The market is seeing growth in people who are active. Whether it’s through walking, running, cycling or a specific sport – more consumers than just competitive athletes are looking to supplements to step up their game.
According to 2021 research from Euromonitor, the sports nutrition market grew by 190% between 2004 and 2018. In 2020, the global active nutrition category was already valued at more than $23 billion in retail value and is expected to keep growing.
With more diverse consumers in the space companies are becoming more innovative in the ingredients used and products provided.
What Active Consumers Want
The sports nutrition market used to be saturated with protein powders, creatine, and high-stimulant pre-workouts. But the new active nutrition consumers are looking for something different.
They want to feel energized, look and feel fit. These consumers are looking for a good protein source, as well as new innovative ingredients that can support a healthy, active lifestyle. With more focus placed on digestion, sleep, sun care, and natural energy.
Supplement companies are putting more focus on using forward-thinking ingredients that are clinically backed by science. Some of those ingredients discussed are the following:
- myHMB® (beta-hydroxy beta-methylbutyrate – HMB) – a muscle health ingredient that increases protein synthesis while decreasing protein breakdown to promote strength and muscle recovery
- PEAK ATP® (adenosine 5’triphosphate disodium – ATP) – a non-stimulant ingredient that provides functional energy and potentiates the role of ATP in the body, particularly in combination with exercise to allow consumers to do more with less fatigue
- GELITA (BCP) BODYBALANCE – an ingredient used for body toning and increased muscle strength
- Maypro’s PurpleForce – is a Kenyan purple tea extract that has been shown to help improve exercise performance and reduce fatigue
- LJ100 Tongkat Ali (Eurycoma longifolia) – is an extract primarily used to support testosterone production in aging males and to reduce cortisol to help create a more favorable anabolic state.
To read the full article How to Win the Sports Supplement Arena by Lisa Schofield, please click here.